There are a lot of models, therefore it can be hard to identify the best power screwdrivers. A power screwdriver or electric screwdriver is one of the most versatile and convenient tool in the toolbox of any handyman. It’s the device that can remove even the most stubborn screws and bolts, making it a must-have for anyone who has to work on appliances or furniture with fasteners.
But what are the key features to look out for before buying a electric screwdriver? There are many options from cordless models to heavy-duty ones, but which one will best suit your needs?
Read this blog post and find out which is the best power screwdriver for your need!
Quick Overview: Best Power Screwdrivers
|Dewalt DCF680N2 Gyroscopic Electric Screwdriver
|Bosch PS21-2A 12V Max 2-Speed Pocket Driver Kit
|BLACK+DECKER Cordless Screwdriver with Pivoting Handle
|Best Budget Option
|SKIL Rechargeable SD561801 Cordless Screwdriver
|WORX WX255L SD Semi-Automatic Power Screw Driver
|Best for Home Use
|Black+Decker BDCSFL20C Cordless Screwdriver
|Metabo HPT DB3DL2 Cordless Screwdriver Kit
|Best safety feature
|SKIL Rechargeable 4V Cordless Screwdriver with Circuit Sensor Technology
How to choose the best power screwdrivers?
Electric screwdrivers are incredibly useful tools, combining the compact size and functionality of a screwdriver with the time-saving efficiency of a power drill.
Their size, ergonomic and lightweight make them perfect for works in tight spaces. However, size and weight are not the only criteria to focus on to make your selection. Therefore, we will explore below some critical elements to consider before buying an electric screwdriver:
Handle style and grip
Some electric screwdrivers have a pistol grip similar to a smaller version of a power drill; some models have a straight, barrel-type handles, which look more like regular screwdrivers. Finally, some models are more versatile and propose a handle that switches between both positions, pistol grip or straight.
Usually straight-handle models are preferred for reaching into tight areas while pistol-grip power screwdrivers offer more control and might be more comfortable for users more familiar with a regular drill.
Although a cordless screwdriver does not need the same power that a drill driver might deliver, they still require enough power to perform the task in the best condition. Therefore, we recommend to choose a tool with a speed between 300 and 500 revolutions per minute (RPM) for straight barrel-type driver and 1’000 RPM for pistol grip models for easier control.
Clutch and Torque
The torque will influence the twisting force, if a screw is easy to turn; only a small amount of torque is needed to turn it. In fastening tools, the clutch allows to regulate the amount of torque applied to a fastener.
Not enough torque will prevent the tool from driving the fastener or drilling any deeper while, too much torque can break small or low-quality fastener.
To summarize, the more torque your screwdriver has, the denser the material you can work with.
Some power screwdrivers only have one setting for torque while more powerful ones include multiple settings, allowing you to work on more various tasks and situations.
Battery type and Battery Power
While the vast majority of power screwdrivers are cordless, there are notable differences in term of battery type. Some models have a power cord that must be plugged into a wall socket for recharging. Some others have detachable battery with a separate charging station (please removable battery can also be used with other tools of the same brand)
Finally, some light-duty electric screwdrivers use replaceable batteries. These tools provide less power and torque as other models mentioned above.
Because a power screwdriver needs less speed and power than drill, they tend to range between 4 and 8 volts, those voltage are perfectly adapted to their motors and perfect to make the screwdriver as light as possible and to fit in small places. Some cordless screwdrivers have a battery level indicator, very helpful feature to know the battery status and identify when it is running low on power.
A bit is the part of a screwdriver that fits on a particular screw head. They are usually named after their shape, such as star-shaped, flat head-shaped, or reference name (Robert, Allen…).
The chuck of most cordless screwdriver fits ¼-inch bits—similar to standard multi-bit manual screwdrivers. The variety of ¼-inch bits available make power screwdrivers very useful.
Some models include bits or event bits sets.
Many electric screwdrivers use magnets to hold the bits in place or to keep the screw in line at the extremity of the bit.
Best Power Screwdrivers – Product review
Best Power Screwdrivers – BEST OVERALL
- The cordless screwdriver features motion activation variable speed and reversing control for precise fastening control
- Motion activated variable speed 0-430 rpm of the rechargeable screwdriver is made for fastening into wood, plastic, and light-gauge metal
- Adjustable two-position handle of the powered screwdriver allows for operation in either in-line or pistol-grip
- Allows control when completing light fastening applications
- LED provides illumination in confined areas without shadowing
- Battery charge status on tool notifies when to charge packs
- 1/4-inch hex allows for quick screwdriver bit change and holds 1-inch bit tips
- 15 Clutch Position Settings
- Kit includes 2 DEWALT DCB080 8V lithium batteries
The DCF680N2 8V MAX Gyroscopic Cordless Electric Screwdriver 2 Battery Kit is ideal for achieving precision, speed, and control. Adjustable two-position handle of the electric screwdriver allows for operation in either in-line or pistol-grip to suit the professional’s needs. Ideal tool for any professional end user looking for a compact, portable screwdriver with precise speed control.
Best Power Screwdrivers – MOST POWERFUL
- COMPACT: Shortest head Length of its class at 5.6 Inch making it the ideal driver for tight corners and small working spaces; at only 1.4 pounds it reduces user fatigue for longer periods of time
- POWER: Despite its small size, the PS21 2A driver delivers 265 inch pound of max torque; It offers two speeds, 0 350 RPM and 0 1,300 RPM allowing users to match speed to the application
- CONTROL and VERSATILITY: With 20 plus 1 clutch setting, the Bosch pocket driver allows users to have more control
- CONVENIENT: Built in LED light to help illuminate dark working areas
- The kit includes
- 2x 12V Max lithium ion batteries,
- a 12V max charger,
- A 34-piece drilling and driving set (Insert Bits, Bit Holder, Sockets, Socket Adapter, Countersink, Black Oxide Drill Bits, Rotary Masonry Drill Bits, Brad Point Bits)
- A carrying bag.
The NEW Bosch 2nd Generation PS21-2A 12 Volt Max 2-Speed Pocket Driver features a compact and lightweight design. The compact design, featuring the shortest height and shortest head length, makes this driver small enough to fit into tight areas and corners. Along with compactness, the Next Generation Driver features the lightest weight in class making it great for over the head continuous work. This Next Generation Driver also packs 265 in-lbs. of torque – Up to 2X more torque than the competition.
This mixed drilling and driving set includes a wide variety of both driver bits and drill bits as well as a selection of accessories to help assist in a number of drilling and fastening applications in wood, metal and masonry
Best Power Screwdrivers – MOST ERGONOMIC
- 3-Position Handle – Lets you work in tight spaces without sacrificing comfort.
- Spindle Lock – Allows for manual screwdriving, giving you increased control.
- Forward/Reverse Switch – Toggle between driving screws and easily removing them.
- 3.6V Lithium Ion Battery – Rechargeable battery holds its charge for up to 18 months.
- Lithium Ion Battery holds a charge for up to 18 months
- Three-position handle lets you work in tight spaces
- Spindle lock allows manual screwdriving and greater control
- Forward and reverse switch for easy screwdriving and screw removal
SCREWDRIVING BIT SET – 42 Piece screwdriving bit set with common bits
This 3.6V MAX* cordless pivoting screwdriver is well suited for routine household tasks. It is designed with a 3-position pivoting handle, so you can even use it in tighter spaces. A switch lets you either select forward or reverse, while the spindle lock ensures you will be in control when using the screwdriver manually. The compact, cordless design means you can carry it anywhere.
For light-duty tasks around the house, such as assembling furniture, hanging wall art, and simple DIY projects.
Best Power Screwdrivers – BEST BUDGET OPTION
- Good for tight spaces – Get the job done in tight tough-to-reach places.
- Ergonomic design – This power screwdriver style allows easy grip and handling with a two-finger trigger.
- Led Work Light – Makes it easy to see when working in dimly lit areas.
- Forget down time – A rechargeable lithium-ion battery keeps this tool charged over an extended period of time.
- Power up your cordless electric screwdriver anywhere with micro USB charging.
- Magnetic bit storage
- Automatic spindle lock feature
- Charging indicator displays power status
- 9pc bit set
It may be a small drill, but the SKIL Rechargeable 4V Screwdriver’s power and features are great! The two-finger trigger makes getting started easy, and an integrated lithium-ion battery is ready when you are. The LED work light illuminates dark spaces so you are always hitting the right marks.
Best Power Screwdrivers – MOST COMPACT
- Quick Draw Bit Change – This Semi-Automatic Driver switches between 6 bits with a slide-action changer.
- Lasting charge – The efficient 4v Max Lithium battery gives you up to 18 months of charge.
- Screw Holder – The innovative attachment keeps the screw in place so you can use the SD Cordless Screwdriver with just one hand
- Never Lose A Bit – Store bits in the internal Rapid Reloadable Cartridge. No more fumbling in your pockets or watching a bit fall through a floorboard
- Comes With 6 Bits – The reloadable cartridge comes stocked with a PH1, PH2, SL4, SL6, SQ1, and SQ2. Everything you need to get driving
- Lightweight – Only 1.1 Lbs
Compact, lightweight, ergonomic and versatile, this Work WX255L semi-automatic power screwdriver combines great design and reliable features to assist you in most of your tasks.
Best Power Screwdrivers – BEST FOR HOME USE
- 2 In1 Design – Use as a cordless screwdriver and a rechargeable flashlight.
- 3-Position Pivoting Handle – Comfort-grip handle pivots into 3 different positions, so you can access tight spaces and work in different orientations.
- Built-In Flashlight – LED brightens up dark areas whenever you need it.
- Lightweight And Compact – Easy to maneuver and reduces muscle fatigue.
- 4V Max Battery – Rechargeable battery provides cordless convenience.
- Includes – BLACK+DECKER 4V MAX Cordless Screwdriver with LED Flashlight (BDCSFL20C), 2x screwdriving bits, a charger.
This versatile 2in1 design allows you to use it as a compact, cordless screwdriver and independently as a rechargeable flashlight. The LED illuminates all of your DIY projects or dark areas, while the comfort-grip handle easily pivots into 3 different positions, so you can take on any job—even ones that require awkward orientations. And it uses a 4V MAX* lithium ion battery that’s simple to recharge
Best Power Screwdrivers – HEAVY-DUTY
- Compact and lightweight – Only 10. 55-in length and weighs less than 1 lb
- 21 clutch settings + 1 drill setting for precision and control based on the application
- Built-in LED light to illuminate the workspace for better visibility in dark spaces.
- Ergonomic – Dual position handle converts from straight to pistol grip for maximum flexibility
- Easy to use forward/reverse switch to change bit direction
- WARRANTY: Lifetime on tool body, battery is covered for 2 years
The Cordless Screwdriver DB3DL2 offers electricians, installers, woodworkers and other professionals a superior power to weight ratio for a variety of fastening applications. The Metabo HPT DB3DL2 3.6V cordless screwdriver features improved circuit protection to keep its motor running longer in a newly designed tool body with improved LED light. It converts easily from straight to pistol grip making it the perfect tool for touch to reach spaces.
Best Power Screwdrivers – BEST SAFETY FEATURE
- Circuit sensor technology – Patented technology safely detects electrical current in outlets switches and fixtures
- A rechargeable lithium-ion battery keeps this tool charged over an extended period of time
- Dual LED light
- Bit sets Included – 7pc 2” slim bits / 16pc 1” bits / 20pcs 1” security bits
The SKIL rechargeable 4V cordless screwdriver unique circuit sensor technology is a patented feature that detects live wires in outlets switches, cords, and fixtures from up to one inch away. Simply hold the cordless screwdriver near the source of electricity and press the detection button. If the circuit is Live, the red light illuminates and an alert sounds. With this feature, you’ll always know where live circuits are located before getting started on your project.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is an electric screwdriver?
An electric screwdriver is used for driving screws. Shapes can vary; indeed, some models use pistol-grip handle similar to a drill, others are barrel-shaped, and there are some power screwdrivers that feature handles that rotate into either position.
Nowadays, most electric screwdrivers have rechargeable batteries. Either battery is removable, rechargeable with a dedicated station or it can be permanently installed and requires to be plugged into a wall outlet to be charged.
Although an electric screwdriver is less versatile than a cordless drill, its design and features make it more suitable in some situations; notably to drive screws in tight spaces where a drill cannot fit or due its lightweight.
How to use an electric screwdriver?
1- Plug it in and make sure that the power source is switched on.
2- Select the bit to use (it should fit the head of the screw)
3- Retract the bit collar and insert the bit before releasing the retracted collar.
4- Set the rotation selector
a. To tighten a screw, the bit must rotate in a clockwise direction.
b. To loosen a screw, the bit must rotate in a counter-clockwise direction.
5- Position the end of the bit on the screw head.
6- Press the lever/trigger to apply torque.
What is the difference between electric screwdriver and drill?
Electric screwdriver and Drill main differences are motor size and battery voltage. Drills have larger, more powerful motors and require higher battery voltages (in the range of 12V to 24V) to operate. Use drills for more demanding tasks (such as drilling or mixing paint). Electric screwdrivers have smaller motors, lighter tasks, and smaller batteries (4V to 10V).
Do I need additional accessories with my electric screwdriver?
Additional equipment such as bits (star, nut, slot, Torx, allen, Phillips, Hex…) or batteries are essentials to allow your power screwdriver to work or perform your task. Most models includes minimum required items.
Optional accessories exist but are not essential for electric screwdriver to work (light, positioning system…)
What is the advantage of an electric screwdriver?
Electric screwdriver allows faster work, better accuracy, and decreases risk of injuries
Power screwdrivers are compact, lightweight and ergonomic tools to work faster and effectively by reducing the efforts and increasing the control and accuracy thanks to adjustable speed and reverse action.
We hope this blog post helped to answer your question about how to choose the best power screwdrivers.
When looking for the best power screwdrivers that will suit your needs and make your life easier, there are many things to consider. It is important to find a tool that has the power and speed that you need, is easy to use, has a comfortable grip and a long battery life.
We also invite you to read our article about how to use an electric screwdriver and things to consider to work conveniently.
We hope this has been helpful to you, and we would love to hear from you if you have any questions!
Thank you for reading!